Friday, June 8, 2012

12 weeks

Still looking about the same.  Weight still 131.  The baby is about the size of a large plum.



Even though I'm not *actually* any bigger or heavier, I feel like I'm at the point where I really need to suck in my stomach so that tops still fit, but sucking it in is getting hard.  Fortunately with the preponderance of pregnancy blogs on the internet I've learned that I'm definitely not alone.  The strange thing is that it seems like most women need maternity pants way before tops, but while I'm not having any trouble fitting into my regular (fat) pants, I'm down to a very few tops that aren't waaaayyyyy too clingy.

I broke down and bought my first "maternity" clothes last week.  I needed a new pair of running shoes and decided to get a couple pairs of shorts that were on clearance.  They aren't actually maternity shorts, but they have a wide, flat front and LOTS of stretch in the waist.  The thing I have learned is that there is no such thing as legitimate pregnancy workout gear.  It all looks like it comes from Victoria's Secret but with different words written on different body parts.



Did you think I was kidding?  I wasn't kidding.  Did everyone besides me get pregnant at Daytona Beach on spring break?

Even though I'm uncomfortable in my own skin, in general, the nausea, food aversions, and headaches have been better this week.  It's like a bad zombie movie though.  Just when I think it's all over, some nasty symptom sneaks up behind to attack.  The best news is that I've been MUCH less fatigued, which is a good thing for going on vacation.  I did have one headache this week that was so bad I decided to self-medicate with a Diet Dr. Pepper.  That was the first caffeinated drink I'd had in about 3 months, and I was so hyper I went home and vacuumed 7 times.  Not really, but I could have.  And it really did help my headache.  I think if the baby lost an IQ point because of the formaldehyde in the diet soda, I'm okay with it.  

In other news, 53% of Wisconsin voters have no soul. 

Inspired by sweet pictures like this one


on Tuesday evening we went to the observatory to try to view the transit of Venus.  But it was cloudy so we had to wait in line for 1.5 hours while the sun went behind the clouds and came out from behind the clouds and people took their sweet time looking through the astronomy department's telescope to see a little black dot on the sun.  Finally I had my 5 seconds- just me, Venus, and the sun.

This is an artist's rendering of what it looked like through the telescope:


That's an hour and a half + 5 seconds of my life that I'll never get back.  Good thing Venus won't be back around to trick anyone again until 2117.  That was a full two episodes of Murdoch Mysteries watching time I missed out on.  We're not going to know if Dr. Ogden and Murdoch get back together again before we leave for London!

Thanks to the miracle of the Amazon lending library, I'll have this to keep me company on the flight overseas.


Yes, it's real.  Yes, I want to read it.

I'm super excited to begin our vacation tomorrow.  YAY London!

No comments:

Post a Comment