Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Link Love

This is the first (and for sure not last because I've already started working on next Friday) Friday Link Love.  We'll start with two links that have absolutely nothing to do with each other:
  • Yes you can make yogurt in the crock pot!  We did this several times years ago but drug back out the recipe to make yogurt for our fro-yo projects.  It may seem a bit sketch to leave warm milk hanging around for 12 hours, but we've never gotten ill from it.  Here's a our crockpot, snuggly warm.

The yogurt you get at the end is runny but this can be improved by mixing in gelatin when you mix in the starter yogurt and by straining off the whey with a really fine mesh strainer.  Even after straining, we were left with several cups of yogurt from one 1/2 gallon of milk.

It's also super tangy, but that can be remedied with frozen berries and sugar.

And toppings:


Mmmmmm... I love a high ratio of toppings to ice cream/fro-yo.


  • Patient Voices- Macular Degeneration - A piece from the New York Times about life with vision-threatening eye disease, both age-related and in the young (hat tip, Kerri).  I think most of you know that I work on research related to age-related AMD (the "wet type" and "dry type" you hear the patients talking about).  I don't really expect that most of you will listen to this, but if you have a friend or a loved one who is losing their sight, you might find it interesting.

Got a link to something interesting you'd like to share with me?

2 comments:

  1. I like the new blog template! Are you sure there is actually yogurt under all those toppings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your blog. I grew up in Wisconsin and went to the UW for undergrad. It is fun to see the pics of my hometown. My mother used to make Homemade yogurt for me as a child but I didn't get those sprinkles just honey. We just were in the Netherlands and they have boxes of sprinkles and chocolate for you to put on your bread for breakfast. I can handle the chocolate but the sprinkles?

    ReplyDelete