Thursday, August 18, 2011

Three Wishes

If I had three wishes, one of them would be to have a plate of food from Mediterranean Cafe appear in front of me every time I was hungry.  Kerri and I took advantage of the last largely undergrad-free summer week to grab lunch there yesterday.

Credit 
It's quite the State St. institution, and they know they have a captive audience.  You have to be dedicated to eat at Mediterranean Cafe.  It's only open for lunch Monday through Saturday.  You have to pay with cash.  You only get one tiny styrofoam cup of soda or tea if you order a drink.  Most people have to take their food to go because the dining room is tiny.  But the food is so good that people are lined up- even on a dead day like yesterday- to get in there at lunch time.  When the students are back?  Practically impossible.

My favorite thing to order is the falafil plate.

Credit
Spicy falafil patties, zesty salad dressing, creamy hummus....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...  but sadly not appearing in front of me right now.  I don't care if it's breakfast time!  Yesterday I ordered the shawarma sandwich, which is pretty much like a gyro but with more veggies and less gloppy sauce.  It was quite tasty, but don't worry, spicy chickpea balls, I'll be back.  Kerri had Akin's plate which is similar to the photo above except made with gyro meat and all mixed together.  It's for the more adventurous diner who doesn't mind his/her foods touching.

And with that, I bid a fond farewell to Mediterranean Cafe.  Next week it will be overrun with undergrads, and by the time they empty out again, it will be cold, making the trip over to State St. much less enjoyable.  See you again next summer!  If you live in Madison, GO!  It is so worth the hassle.

Have a favorite restaurant you can only eat at infrequently?  What are your three wishes today?

BTW, I'm thinking my other two would be 1. For our apartment complex to allow us to have a pet (but no one else, that would be isanity) and 2. To have a house elf.




1 comment:

  1. mmm, i love med cafe!!! :) i've only been there twice, but i LOVED it both times. i hear ya on the undergrads crowding it out. :( not cool.

    ReplyDelete