Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Change of plans

I started this month with the good intention of continuing to bike to work every day.  However, reality- in the form of it being super cold in the morning and dark by 5pm- has set in and I decided to hang up my bike helmet for the season after I got home on Monday.  It was warm enough to bike yesterday, but I would have had to ride on the bike path in the dark during a very busy time.  I always wear lights/reflective gear, but plenty of other people don't, and even though I hate riding the bus, it was a slightly less horrible prospect than playing "dodge the freshmen and high school boys cross country team" trying to ride home.

BUT I haven't given up on my anti-laziness campaign.  For one, even though I probably don't have time most days to walk to work, I can walk home until it gets really really really cold.  And I've taken on another challenge.  I'm not going to use the elevator at work through the rest of the month.  I work on the 4th floor, so it's not taxing to walk up to my office, but it's right at the point that makes the elevator look tempting.  Anyway, day 1 of no elevator was a success.

If you live in a cold place, do you try to find ways to increase your activity during the winter?  Or do you just embrace the natural rhythms of the earth and do your best to hibernate from Nov - ... May?

No comments:

Post a Comment