Sunday, August 12, 2012

Apartment therapy

We talked to the woman who currently lives in our soon-to-be apartment and she told us she will start her new job (in Pennsylvania) a week from tomorrow, so this weekend marks the calm before the storm of moving.  Our lease doesn't start until 9/1, and that's when the water and electricity will come on, but we'll get the keys from her before she leaves, and I'm planning to spend the next couple weekends moving winter/storage stuff over before we do the mega move Labor Day weekend.

 Although I've put off any packing so far, I have been giving the moving process a lot of thought and have a running list of apartment things to do (to go along with the baby things to do list).  Some things I've checked off already.


  • Sign lease and e-mail back to landlords
  • Receive copy of signed lease back
  • Send in security deposit and post-dated rent checks (I was afraid I'd forget when baby brain really started to set in)
  • Get keys to new apartment
  • Put in 90-days notice at current apartment
  • Pay final rent to current apartment
  • Schedule movers
  • Get coupon for movers from friend or buy a Bucky Book
  • Transfer utilities
  • Turn on water
  • Turn on internet
  • Buy TV antenna/ digital converter box/ thing that will play Netflix movies
  • Voyage to Ikea
  • Futon???
  • Kitchen table???
  • Update address with services/ put in change of address with post office
  • Figure out how to watch something/ listen to music while using treadmill in garage
  • Pack and move small stuff
  • Have movers take over big stuff
  • Clean current apartment
  • Unpack at new apartment
  • Donation to St. Vinny's
And while it seems like a lot to do (and I'm sure this list will continue to grow), I keep holding out having my own washer and dryer and dishwasher as motivation.  19 more days until I don't have to go outside to do the laundry!!!  With any luck, we might even miss this year's millipede season.

No comments:

Post a Comment