Wednesday, August 22, 2012

You can trust me

for another 28 hours.  Or is that a year and 28 hours?  Because I won't be "over 30" until I'm 31, which will be next year.  In any case, this is my last day on earth as a 20-something, and - even though it feels like it was only two seconds ago- I thought it would be fun to think back about what life was like when I started my 20s way back in 2002.

Flat screens were the next big thing:

[source]
And they were making those state quarters:
[source]

Al Roker was still fat:

[source]
As was Drew Carey:

[source]

And we still used dial up

[source]

To watch Homestar Runner

[source]

And hoped not to get the blue screen of death.

[source]

Oh 2002, how much has changed since then... we were listening to Nickelback and watching the second Lord of the Rings movie and drone bombing the crap out of weddings in Afghanistan (oh wait...).  It was a simpler time.  Only drug dealers had cell phones, and you only had to pretend to be friends with people you didn't like who you actually had real-life social interaction with instead of being fake Facebook friends with people you don't even see.  You could set a drink on an AOL CD coaster while constructing the perfect away message so that everyone would think you were out living it up on a Friday night and not dressing up a plastic rat in your dorm room with your crazy roommate (or was that just me?)  George W. Bush was the president (totally forgot about that guy...) and taking pictures of cats was something that only crazy people did.

Only. Crazy. People. [source]
I'm sure that in 10 years I'll look back on 2012 and think how silly and simple-minded we all were "way back then" before the alien invasion and flying cars.  But I'm not thinking about it now because that would mean having to rationalize the idea that one day I will be almost 40 (eek).  Anyway... enough rambling for now.  See you all next decade!    

No comments:

Post a Comment